Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Back in the motha land!

Well I am in Athens. The flight sucked major d*ck the only highlite was that there was an old man with a huge tumor or cyst on the back of his neck & he grew his hair out over it like a comb-over/mullet. Very strange. I am jet-lagged & exhausted because I couldn't sleep on the plane. I am very bummed that the dollar sucks right now. Everything is so expensive. I am also feeling extremely freaked out, alone & overwhelmed right now. Tomorrow I will attempt to venture more than 2 blocks from my hotel. I think I will feel better as soon as I get outta Athens & onto an island where I can chill on the beach. It's strange because I am usually a very confident traveler & I think I am pretty good at it, but right now I just feel lost & wanna go home & crawl under my covers. I think it's because I am by myself. Getting lost isn't fun unless you are with a buddy. I gotta give props for all you who have been overseas by yourselves. Any pointers? It's strange because I haven't had a conversation with anyone today. I am in a city of millions & feel so isolated. The good thing is that I can brush off pan handlers easily because I can't understand a word they are saying. I forgot about all the gypsies here. I also forgot how much it smells like B-O. Stinky old man B-O everywhere I go. Well hopefully I will be writing a more positive blog tomorrow but for now I am going to go crawl under my covers & try to convince myself that I didn't make a huge mistake....

3 comments:

Count Mockula said...

You didn't make a mistake. You just need a day or two to adjust. Of COURSE it's scary, and of course you're alone -- you haven't met anybody... yet.

That's an important yet. Soon, you'll settle into your groove and we'll be hearing how you pooped at the Parthenon.

Take care, have fun!

Suzanne said...

It's the jet lag talking. Once you get settled and adjusted, you'll have a BLAST!!! I can't wait to hear more!

Anonymous said...

Oh Darlin-

You will be ok! It is weird to be by yourself, and you will go through bouts of terrible loneliness, especially when you see things that are totally amazing and have no one to share it with, but fear not...we will believe everything you tell us about your adventures. And pretty soon you will realize how cool it is to not have to worry about what your traveling companions will think or do, cause you don't have anyone's opinions to react to except your own. It's a kind of purified freedom, if you will, that you get when you travel alone. What you experience is distilled only through your own filter, and no one else's. You finallly get to see life as only you see it. It's a weird way to know yourself. If you get lost by yourself and then find your own way, then you did it all by yourself. Once you do that in a foreign land where you can't talk to anyone, no one else can talk to you, and you are totally illiterate- then you can do anything. Anywhere.

It was great to hear from you, I am so glad you got there safe. And don't worry- you will get used to the smell. :)

drummergirl