Friday, September 29, 2006

I'm alive!

& I am back at home. I've been home for almost a week now. Sorry I haven't written. I couldn't find internet on the islands I was on. I know most of you are thinking "NO! How could she come back after a week & a half!" Well, I was so miserable that I had to. I had a total of 3 conversations when I was there and one was with a dog. I mastered getting around & finding places to stay & trying to eat, but I couldn't get over being in my head for days at a time with no one to talk to. There weren't any English speaking people. If there was, they were couples & the conversation usually went "Were are you from. Oh nice. Ok have fun bye."

The hatred of Americans was overwhelming. It would change if I told them I was Greek, but most conversations didn't get that far. Greeks are naturally abrupt & rude (in our standards) so after so much negative human contact, I couldn't take it anymore. I know, most people say "tell them you are from Canada", but I am not. Sure my government embarrasses me, but I am American & my grandparents & great grandparents went through hell to get here and start a better life. I will not be ashamed of my country. I was overcharged, almost took a wrong ferry & just general made to feel like caca after someone found out I was American. It sucked. If I wasn't by myself, I am sure I would've let it roll off me, but this was the only human contact I was getting & it was wearing me down. I was followed by weird guys on 2 occasions. While I didn't feel scared, because I was pissed, it still didn't help the situation out any. Thank gawd, "FUCK OFF" is universal. I got sick of the pointing & the staring at my Tattoos. You may be speaking in a different language, but if you are looking at me & whispering, I am pretty sure you are talking about me.

We also had a death in the family & I was able to make it back home in time for the funeral. There were times where I would have a mild anxiety attack because something didn't feel right & I needed to get home. After I got back & saw my family at the funeral, most of them told me that they were really glad that I was home because they had a funny feeling. I feel so much better now that I am home. I've decided to not work until January & spend some time with my family. I am going to help my grandma clean out her house & spend some time with her. Also if anyone needs any help with doing anything, let me know. I got all the time in the world.

Here are the highlights from my trip; In Syros, I turned a wrong way walking to my hotel & got lost for an hour, even though my room was a block from the harbor. See, Syros used to have a pretty bad pirate problem & so there streets are made confusing on purpose. Also in Syros, there are restuarants set up all along the harbor, very beautiful. A huge yaht docked right in the middle & a fat old man got off, stripped down & proceeded to wash his body with a hose about 6 feet from lots of people eating & drinking. This included his ass & balls. That same day I was followed all around by some weird guy until I told him to f-off. I left Syros & went to Naxos after a couple of days. I stayed in a place right accross the street from the beach. Very nice beach, but full of old leathery naked people. I've seen so much old scrot & saggy titties that I will never work in a old persons home. After I reread my books for the tenth time, I would try to find food & go back to my room & sleep. This was my 4 days is Naxos. I got a really good tan, though.

Now I am home & happy about it. I left because something didn't feel right & I didn't want to start hating a place or places that I love or might love. I still want to see the world, but not by myself. I am happy that I tried to do it. I don't regret any of my decisions. I am just really happy to be home!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kiki loves you and would travel with you again. Hello Duke York! Happy B-Day. Guess I won't have to take one for the team this year.

Anonymous said...

Evil Betty loves you too.

I'm glad you're home...safe...and sound

Suzanne said...

Welcome back. Sorry it was not a great experience. Maybe you and Count can come to NYC and stay with me and I promise that we will have fun and people will be nice too you.

Happy belated birthday!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok Happy Birthday. And fuck em all, do what feel right and if being home feels right then do it. I recently became umemployed so call me and we can hang.
monkeygirl

gynagirl said...

Thanks everyone! I am doing quite well. Hey JB, give me a call you f*cker! Miss you!