Thursday, February 23, 2006

The body & blood of Christ compels you!

This weekend my little nephew (Beastos) is getting baptized this Saturday & I get to be his blessed Godmother. Now as the Godmother, I have stuff I have to get for the ceremony. Greek Orthodox is very similar to Catholicism but just a little more ornate at times. Our priests can marry & instead of just putting the water on the baby’s head, we dunk the little ones in a big holy tub. I am supposed to supply candles, a cross & olive oil amongst other things. I went out this weekend & found him a pretty little gold cross. Very simple, but in a neat shape. There were a couple of crosses where it had a dead Jesus on a anchor. I almost got him one of those. Not sure if the priest would’ve found it as funny as I did. I know my brother would’ve. Second, my mom keeps on asking me if I’ve “gotten the olive oil”. I have olive oil. I have lots of olive oil. Even if I have no food in the house, I always have olive oil. I’m Greek for f*cks sake. This morning one of my aunts emails me to ask “Do you have the olive oil”? Seriously, Greek or not, I don’t know very many people who don’t have olive oil in their kitchen. F*ckin’ olive oil…

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

As a nonobservant Jew, I am not sure I am allowed to say this, BUT I love the Jesus crucified on an anchor cross. And, to affirm your point, we definitely have olive oil on hand all the time.

David Tellez said...

Yeah, I dont get the whole Jesus crucified on an anchor thing? What does it mean? There's this person who works at in information booth at the mall here in town, and she has one of those things, diamond encrusted with rubies for blood and all, big as f*ck, and I think to myself...why would anyone wear such a gaudy piece of jewelery? I mean, I know some like to show their religious beliefs through, jewelery, but what's so bad about a plain and simple cross? Does it gotta be so flashy? Anyways, good luck on your godmother duities today!

Count Mockula said...

I am so sorry I couldn't come. Ultimately, Piggs had to work today and I needed to pick him up at 5, so there was no way I was going to be able to do both. I hope he's officially sanctified by god and stuff, and congratulations on being a godmother as well as a rockin' aunt.

Suzanne said...

Shit, I so missed the point on this. I hope it went well and congrats on being a godmother!

Count Mockula said...

My curiosity was piqued...

Apparently, there are a few hymns in which "Jesus is the anchor for the soul." I found several references to similar sermons, etc. Apparently the original reference is from the book of Hebrews.

Heb 6: 19 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Now I don't know what Melchisedec is, but that gives us a little clarity, doesn't it?

gynagirl said...

It's actually a cross for sailors.