Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Breakin’ the law…

I got a call from my mom this weekend. I guess Cute Crazy Guy got put in jail for going awol while he was on work project from an earlier charge of “threatening death or GBI” (as the online inmate info read). She was all worried so I told her that I would try to visit him as he was in County lock up & I work right next door. I was pretty excited. Living the sheltered life I live, I’ve never been to prison or visited anyone in prison. I have 3 prison guards, a sheriff and a retired narcotics police officer in my immediate family. This was an adventure waiting to be had. At lunch yesterday I walked a block over to county lockup & waited in line to enter with all the tweakers, bums, baby’s mama’s, a HUGE woman in a lark & a few scared looking people. It was a jolly time. I seriously would just recommend going down to the county jail just to people watch. FYI you have to fill out a visitation form before you get to the window. Also they have a lovely fish tank in the lobby. Once you fill out the form you take it to the window & they schedule a visitation then you come back at that time. You go up to the floor where the inmate is & ring a bell. Tell them the name, wing, pod (I know weird) & bed number & then they ring you in with your window letter. You go in & at least on the floor I was on, it is like a big arena box seat overlooking the commons area of the internal prison. Surprisingly clean & tidy. No inmates were in there. You have a glass booth with a metal stool & a phone. Luckily CCR (Cute Crazy Guy) is getting out today or tomorrow instead of the 90 days originally. He looked in good spirits. Wasn’t able to ask if he still had his behyndmen like I usually ask people who have been in prison. I will have to save that question for a latter date.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Behyndman - so brilliant!